Friday, April 8, 2011

Reasons why Jenn doesn't have a real job...

I haven't had a real job since i left my groomer position roughly 1 1/2 years ago. At first it wasn't for lack of trying, there simply were more groomers and trainers than jobs. I still groom and train off and on... but its more of a hobby now. So why doesn't Jenn get a real job?

 Because everyday I battle a tiny geriatric foe. My grandma (in law)is 86 and needs help but wont admit to it. So I spend most days cleaning up after her or her dog. I re-wash dishes, turn off the stove, stop fires from happening, catch her before she falls, etc... I tend to either get up very early to get things done before she attempts to do them or stay up later to fix the things she has done. It is a constant battle. She has broken bones from trying to do things like shovel or mow the lawn ( on a riding mower mind you) but she will still try and do them over and over again.

Because I have to become super woman at the drop of a hat. My husband has a seizure disorder. It was so bad in the past he even lost most use of his legs for around 3 months. When he has a seizure I have to take care of everything at once. I need to know whats normal and when to drive to the ER. I need to keep a memory of every drug he has ever been on so he doesn't get so bad again. I am his patient advocate. Not a single person knows his disorder like I do. Inside and out.

Because at one point I was taking care of my husband and his father. Seizures and strokes....  and apparently the other 2 able bodied humans in the house were too scared or stupid to help. In a house of 5 people over 18 I was the only one working at least 40 hours a weeks. Not to mention we also fed up to 4 other teenagers and my grandma (in law) at any given point. I also did all of the housework, cooking, cleaning, and animal care. This lasted nearly a year. 6 people 5 dogs 3 Cats... and dumb ass people who don't potty train animals.
Rob has graciously given me a break for doing  so much.

Because I know what I want to do and I have the means to do it. I simply cannot get a mindless soul crushing job while I know I can continue on with my dreams. Not to mention every time I have offered to get a job it breaks robs heart, because he too fears that our dream is slipping farther away when I offer.Of  course before we invest any money in anything we do intensive research and we have yet to find the right breed or breeder for us to start with. Its to important to just throw money at.

I still make money for our family in different ways... I still contribute. I have a job, just not a conventional one. 

4 comments:

  1. Sorry I haven't commented in a while. Who'd a thunked my last semester of undergrad would be so crazy? I've been reading though. It's a nice way to feel like I still have a connection to you, you know? Sad, but both of our lives have been fairly crazy, understatement, I know.

    Someone been giving you shit about that? About not having a job? As far as I'm concerned, it's none of their damned business. People have given me shit about it, but they don't know. They don't know how intense it is to be an art major... and they don't know that Nathan's school life is medial, boring, and fairly easy for him right now. They also don't know that as soon as we move, the board is going to flip. I'll be the primary bread winner (as I have been in the past)... but no one will say anything then... because Nathan's degree must be that intense right??? Whatever. Screw everyone else who doesn't know shit. Who would hire you right now anyway?? The last thing they want is to hire someone who's going to be on maternity leave within a matter of months, right? If you guys are doing fine (financially) then what the hell? Now, it's my personal opinion as much of a saint as you are, you shouldn't be. Your priority should be you and your husband and your new family... but do I have any good advice as to how to do that? I wish I did. That's really up to you. It's not so easy to just tell family to fuck off, even if they are... well, the family you have to deal with. They're still family, and more importantly, they're still human beings that you're connected to by one means or another. *Hugz* Jenn, you know I've got you and Rob's back. Take care of yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its something I get every now and then...
    I have to realize that people don't understand...
    I always think "if you only knew. IF you only knew what its like with a sick husband and terrible inlaws... etc"
    Its nearly impossible to explain.. and i dont want anyone to feel sorry for me. I just want them to accept it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I accept it... obviously. That's something I hope. Knowing that I have at least one soldier on my side helps me feel a lot better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would also like to add that I hate how this site always asks you to fill in a "captcha" everytime you leave a comment. It's so dreadfully annoying... consequently, and ironically, I'll be filling out another one momentarily.

    ReplyDelete