Saturday, July 23, 2011

Age of Aquarius....

I've always held a bit of stock in astrological signs. It only seemed appropriate since my sign has always fit me so well. Aquarius...

Aquarius Strength Keywords:

- Witty
- Clever
- Humanitarian
- Inventive
- Original

Aquarius Weakness Keywords:

- Stubborn
- Unemotional
- Sarcastic
- Rebellious
- Aloof

Ever since I've become interested in such things this sign has held true for me, but I don't hold to it like its the metaphysical law. Everything in a realm that is mostly interpretation should be taken with a grain of salt. After all I've read dozens of articles about the age of Aquarius, and if I sourced all of them I would gather that the age is over, is currently  going on, was spurred on by the great depression, coincides with the Mayan death calender,  or wont be until the year 3000. Grain of salt....

My husband is a Scorpio. Which is said to be the most powerful of all signs while mine is said to be the most intense of all signs.
 Likes for a scorpio:
Honesty, facts and logic, good-natured banter, being correct, old friends, great ideals, worthy opponents

This does have potential to describe my husband. Of course if I put too much stock into Zodiac signs it also means I should divorce my husband, Air and water don't mix. In fact we aren't supposed to understand each other at all.

It is hard for me to completely trust it, for one memorable reason. Every year I share a birthday with a man I went to school with named Eric Walters. In my younger years I expected to share a short of kinship with Eric, after all we were born on the same day we had to have something in common. Boy was I wrong. Eric was, in high school at least, a very run of the mill athlete and probably the least imaginative soul I've ever met. I'm almost positive he only graduated because his mother worked in the front office. Every year I was reminded that The zodiac is not tried and true, but I think I like it better that way.

So What happens when an Aquarius and a Scorpio birth a Virgo? or  possibly a Libra depending on when the little one decides to show up. The signs seem to be the exact opposite of Hubs and I. While there is some compatibility here or there the signs seem to be polar opposites.

What does this tell me? Not much. I do think things like this are taken far too seriously. It was just a curiosity in the middle of a storm for me. The fact that i am not worried is a comfort.   It reaffirms my faith in our ability to nurture a child in the direction best suited for her nature or desires. Will I get a very preppy princess? Possibly, I certainly have no intention of forcing this child to be like me.

I think a lot of parents lose sight of how easily influenced children can be. Instead of re-inforcing positive traits, I see many parents unintentionally throwing their own insecurities onto their children. Small things can change a child perspective, like commenting on a little girls intelligence instead of her cuteness.

Zodiac signs aside, I'm sure I will clash with my children as most parents do. Things like this remind me to re-enforce independence, self-confidence, and self worth. After all why would you want a carbon copy, when an original little girl is so much better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment